Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is Press Pause Radio's Community Forum. Please feel free to join and discuss the Press Pause Radio podcast, as well as video games and other topics.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Lay offs at 1up.com

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
GeorgieboysAXE

GeorgieboysAXE

Lay offs at 1up.com Empty
PostSubject: Lay offs at 1up.com   Lay offs at 1up.com EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 6:46 pm

I can't help but feel ridiculously angry about this, it's insane that we're seeing some 1ups best people being let go left & right with Sharkey, one-time PPR Guest & incredible editor/podcaster Ray Barnholt, & now Jade Krautz...This is fucking bull-shit, any thoughts from you guys?
Back to top Go down
Toast
Admin
Toast

PostSubject: 1up is Doomed...   Lay offs at 1up.com EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 7:50 pm

Hate to say it, but it really seems like the site has been going on a decline since EGM went out of business and has yet to recover from it. Even with the social features and hardcore community, I don't really know if it'll stay around for much longer.

People are moving on, creating their own blogs and communities. And to be frank, their news is usually not as current as the other sites, and they have a lack of exclusives. I love the entire 1up community and team, but I can also see the writing on the wall. Looks like it's up to the community to keep the spirit alive, because 1up/UGO certainly is not.
Back to top Go down
http://www.presspauseradio.com
GeorgieboysAXE

GeorgieboysAXE

PostSubject: I couldn't agree more...   Lay offs at 1up.com EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 7:59 pm

it's fucking sad though...this footage immediately flooded back into my head the moment I went into my Twitter feed
Back to top Go down
Seandood

Seandood

PostSubject: Re: Lay offs at 1up.com   Lay offs at 1up.com EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 9:28 pm

Yeah, I was pretty ticked off when I heard about it. The Sharkey incident also ruffled my feathers, but this is getting ridiculous! I've thought about leaving the site for awhile, starting to feel like I'm wasting my time there. I'm sure other core members will also leave after this.

Why continue posting on a site where your favorite representing members are released, and where you can't get any sort of pat on the back for contributing quality to the community? For awhile I saw more phrase come from that "GM" idiot than I did from most of their better bloggers (excluding myself).
Back to top Go down
http://seandood.wordpress.com
GeorgieboysAXE

GeorgieboysAXE

PostSubject: Game Master is gone though but yeah you bring up an excellent point   Lay offs at 1up.com EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 3:19 am

though we don't have a blogging system we can build our community here, it's we have & I'm damn satisfied with it's slow evolution I am!
Back to top Go down
Seandood

Seandood

PostSubject: Re: Lay offs at 1up.com   Lay offs at 1up.com EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 7:19 am

Maybe my Doviculus avatar's scaring people away. I should probably change it to something a tad more conventional. Razz
Back to top Go down
yoshigrl1018

yoshigrl1018

PostSubject: =(   Lay offs at 1up.com EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 7:39 pm

In my time at 1up, I've kind of focused more on the user community side of the site. I've always just really been a blogger / blog reader...so honestly I didn't really follow the staff work. I still feel awful about all of the layoffs, though. I hate that people who really made my favorite gaming site how it was, are just...gone now. I may not be their devoted follower, but I really DO hope they all find success elsewhere.

I gotta admit, I'm kind of afraid that 1up might eventually just collapse. It's definitely had it's ups and downs. And the site redesign looks good, right? But...a lot of the changes make it look eerily similar to UGO.com...which makes me feel like they are planning to merge the sites which would probably have drastic effects on the community. =/

I don't even know what I would DO...if I would make a new public blog, start posting at a different site, or just stop public blogging. I don't know. How depressing.

Oh and Sean's avatar is definitely scaring me away...in fact...this Sean kid just scares me away from this podcast in general. UGH. ^.^
Back to top Go down
Seandood

Seandood

PostSubject: Re: Lay offs at 1up.com   Lay offs at 1up.com EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 4:28 am

If 1UP and UGO completely merged, that would make me leave - I'd also remove my entire profile to avoid additional view hits for them. I registered for 1UP, NOT for UGO. If that's seriously what we end up with, Hearst can take their forceful viral marketing and shove it up their asses.

Most of the 1UPper community members would probably just retreat to somewhere like Playfire. The thing that sucks more than anything is losing a staff base who had so much passion for simply being themselves, and spreading the love of games THROUGH the community.
Back to top Go down
GeorgieboysAXE

GeorgieboysAXE

PostSubject: I've just noticed the trend of...   Lay offs at 1up.com EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 5:59 am

staff being less & less personable, apparently this just prevents any profit or mainstream success in UGO's eye because the of the financial bull shit that they saw 1up in from Ziff's poor management, but that's what made 1up so special! & unfortunately UGO misses that point & is looking at ways to generate profit through traffic & making cuts where they feel needed to do so...it's fucking shame...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lay offs at 1up.com   Lay offs at 1up.com Empty

Back to top Go down

Lay offs at 1up.com
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Current News-
Jump to: